Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Building a motor

As they say, good things come to those who.... procrastinate?
After scrounging parts for two years, and showing up late for every good deal on a used Advanced DC or WarP motor that came along, I was resigned to paying retail, when out of nowhere, the nation's most imaginative DC motor rebuilder appears in my back yard! Jim Husted of High Torque electric might be found in any industrial town, a talented motor man who'd been rebuilding industrial DC drives and golf cart motors for decades, but he was discovered on John Wayland's forklift repair route, and has awakened to the wild world of EV racing. In less than a year, Jim's creations have turned conventional EV motor limitations into history. With the Siamese Eights for White Zombie, Jim built two eight inch motors around a single shaft, and this motor is already pushing the Zombie to incredible 0-60 foot times (1.671 on it's most recent run). A smaller diameter motor will always 'spool up' faster than a large motor, and the Siamese Eights have doubled that advantage, without the attendant inefficiencies of combining gears, a belt drive, or vibration-prone couplers. Jim's next creation was the "Purple Phaze", a massive old 72 volt Allis-Chalmers forklift motor that was pulled from a scrap heap and has become a gleaming source of axle-snapping torque at 348 volts. Not satisfied with just a clean build at nearly five times the original design voltage, John Wayland and Jim Husted collaborated to develop the ABR, or Adjustable Brush Ring. This simple assembly makes advancing or retarding the brushes on a series DC motor possible with the simple flick of a lever, and it could even be automated using a servo motor. Adjustable brush rigging promises to allow the same motor to efficiently push a car in commuter mode all week, but still tear up the track on Friday night. With retarded brush timing, the elusive goal of practical regeneration on a series motor appears to finally be in reach.
Jim's second ABR went into Doug Weathers' 8" ADC motor, and his third is reserved for the Karmann Eclectric. Better to let the description come from the builder himself. Here's Jim's first mention of our project on the Electric Vehicle Discussion List:
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Hey everyone

Mark wrote:
>So far everyone says it's not too big. Guess it'll be a go on the 9" motor.
James Massey wrote:
Aah, don't forget that there is more than one choice in series DC motors of
that size. Advanced DC, Netgain, Warfield, GE and others. And don't forget
the Jim Husted special build options. Jim, have you a suitable motor available?



Actually I have about 5 or 6 more 9's available to me. I just figured I’d let
you all feed on him for a while (or maybe the other way around) before I piped
in. Since James brought me into this, I guess I have to add my two cents here.
I think my current project might offer you some food for thought…



I just got the Okay to start my newest project, which will be a shortened 9” ADC
for a conversion in Vancouver WA. This motor will be shortened down to 15” in
total length by removing 2” from the housing area. The shaft will also need to
be modified, and as I’ve followed these posts would allow an extra 2” of tail
shaft to stick out for one of your needs. The end plates are going to be clear
powder coated for a nice easy to clean finish. These modifications are so the
motor will fit into his conversion without having to cut his car.



This motor will sport an adjustable brush ring (Notice: I’m naming this an ABR
for short lol). For this conversion it will be static, as in advanced by the
user for his /her car and locked into that advancement. If one were to install
a servo motor to the adjusting arm of the ABR, then could you not get it to
slide from neutral for regen, to a pre-determined advancement for driving, and
then back? Making the ADC a little more regen friendly. This seems so doable,
any input?



I’d like to note that the ideas and the modifications I am beginning to do have
come in large part by the suggestions and ideas of others, in addition to
reading your posts. I’m hoping to get a web site up where I can post pics of
cores looking for good homes. I plan to put up how to’s and show off what we
got cooking in the pots as time goes by. I will throw up step by step projects
for those both here and abroad who might like to do it themselves.



I’ve heard mention of someone wanting to be able to afford one of my motors and
just so those out there know, the above described ADC 9” was quoted below the
cost of a new 9’er (any future mod’s may adjust this, lol). Just so you know I
to am not going to get rich at this, but instead am trying to do my part as a
member of this community while adding some spice to my kinda boring forklift
customers. If I’m lucky I can skim off some money for my own little EV racer.
If you haven’t been there go and check out John Waylands page. The Siamese 8 is
a pair of motors John and I had fun with.

http://photos.plasmaboyracing.com/buildsequence



This is a great site isn’t it! There’s one problem though! They won’t tell you
how to shut the damn EV thingy in your brain as you stare up at the ceiling
thinking of new and crazy stuff, lol.



Anyways welcome to the list



Jim Husted

Hi-Torque Electric

Redmond OR.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Nuff said, eh?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home